Monday, April 24, 2006

Already loafing

Sorry for not posting over the weekend as usual. I have no good excuse. Well, the kids are always a good excuse, but it's old and worn out, so I won't use it this time.

Anyway, looky-looky at my side bar! Yup, that's right baby, I got to join the Knitting Blogs ring. It's been closed for a while, and when it opened, I lept at the chance and got in. One of the requirements is that your blog needs to be updated every week, and I've already broken the directive. Oh well. I really just wanted it because the Yarn Harlot is a part, and I'm just in awe of her.

Speaking of which, I've been knitting my sock while reading her archives (I'm to October 2004 now).

I'm really happy with it. Yes, it looks freakishly long, but that's because I wanted them poke out of the top of my motorcycle and/or snowboarding boots. I hate socks that are shorter than my boots. I just hope I have enough yarn to finish a second sock.

Anyway, besides the rough start, I think it's pretty cool. Although I can't explain how the top looks so different and I'm sure I won't be able to duplicate it for its mate, I'm still pretty content. The yarn is sooo soft. I used navy blue Woolly Nylon in the heels and will in the toes as well, and you can barely see it up close. This is fine with me since no one will be that close.

And yes, the flap is kind of long, but that's cuz I've got a rather high instep, and other socks I've made with a shorter heel slouch down unattratively/uncomfortably into my shoes. See? I can be taught.

Here's a little taste of how crazy-weird I am with knitting...Hubby and I are going to Vegas this weekend, and I'm set on finishing these socks in time to wear them. The reason is that these will be "lucky socks" and I will show them to the slot machines before putting in my money. Don't look at me like that! Yes, I've done this before (with different lucky socks, of course), and it worked out pretty well. Of course my husband thought I was insane when I lifted my leg up, lifted my pant cuff, and then proceeded to play the machine. Actually, he thought I was showing the machine something else altogether, but we won't go there on this nice wholesome blog.

So all this sock-knitting has cut into my Comfy Cardi time. I only knit on this one night last week...

I know it's not much, but I've done all the increasing, and it's big enough around to be able to use my circs on it. So now it'll be smooth sailing from here on in. Just rounds and rounds of cabled tube. Unbroken. Nothing to break up the monotony. Did I mention this is the 2nd sleeve? That means I've already knit one of these. Yup. I'm just dying to get back to it. Dying.

But things here may get a little more interesting than I would like because I have only 2 more skeins of Top of the Lamb left, and I'm almost ready to join one of them in to finish the sleeve. Let's not forget that I still have the chest and back to finish up. And a button band of some sort. And an edging. The skeins are 4 ounces, so I'm not too worried. Yet. Stay tuned...

No comments: