Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Firstly, happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there. No one but we know how much work goes into making sure the next generation is not a bunch of worthless yahoos running rampant and wreaking havoc. The world owes us big time.

Well, I've taken a "sabbatical" from the Cozy/Crappy Cardi. Its future looks bleak.
It's still needle-less and sitting in a basket in my "re-modeled" wool room.


This is my "most improved" corner. I added this second book shelf to house my knitting & spinning books and my Spin-Off collection. The other (unseen) shelf has my dyes, my extensive collections (I've had subscriptions to these since 2000) of Knitter's, Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, FC Easy Knitting (now Simple Knits), INKnitters, and Creative Knitting (new magazine 2005). This along with my "non-knitting" books. I hung some handspun on the flower hooks and called it good. I did rearrange my fleeces, but I'll have to show you those another day.



Look, I even did some spinning! Remember Blackbird? This fleece is insanely soft. But it's also "rustic", with clumpy tips and some really short staple lengths. This translates into nubby "textured" yarn. But I'm spinning this softly and plan on making a plain sweatshirt-type of sweater which will show off the unusual texture. No chance of messing up the dye lot on this one! I'm still experiementing with my twist & tpi, so I'll let you know what I end up with.

I accidentally left my sock at work over the weekend, and I needed some small, mindless knitting to keep me occupied during a nice family trip to the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum in Buena Park on Saturday.

This is some stash Regia Stretch knit on size 1 needles and 56 stitches. I'm not sure how many inches around it is, but I'm hoping the stretchy yarn will help me out. I'm really loving the colors of this, and it seems to be moving along fairly quickly for some reason. Anyway, I think I'll alternate between my other sock & this one to help stave off mind-numbing boredom. Oh yeah, and I still have the Viking Cardigan at work. I'm still hoping on getting that one done by this Winter.

Well, today I ordered a Woolee Winder for my Symphony as my Mother's Day present, so I'm pretty excited about it. I spun up Blackbird on the Symphony, and I just love spinning on it. The wonderfully smooth treadling and the big gorgeous wheel just make it so enjoyable to spin on. From what I hear, the Woolee will make it even more so.

No comments: