Friday, June 30, 2006

Field Trip

Today was a great day because I was able to visit my good buddy and fellow spinning knitter Nola without my little ones. It was a really good day.

First, we started the morning off with a nice ice-cold glass of Bud Light right out of her very own keg. It definitely helped to take the edge off this 103 degree heat!! After some fiber show-and-tell (it had been about a year since we had last met in person), we drove off to a "local" yarn store:
This was about a 30 minute drive away. It is the new-ish shop "Knit Affair" in Corona. The owner (I presume) Tori, was very helpful. She even offered to wind the hanks of yarn Nola bought into balls. Very nice!! It was a lovely shop, and I'm glad we made the drive, even though we had to fight So Cal traffic on the way back. While there, this stuff may have found it's way home with me:

This is 2 balls of Trendsetter's lace-weight Kid Mohair & Silk (I can't remember the name, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to look at the label). Just know that it's lovely, and I'll be using it in lieu of Rowan Kid SilkHaze to knit the Birch shawl in Rowan #34 (on it's way to me in the mail) of Yarn Harlot fame.

The book is full of cute little sweater patterns for kids. There are quite a few I'd like to make for my boys. I really must love these patterns, because when I got home to put the book on my shelf, I discovered I now had this:
Well, at least my taste is consistent. It's a sad commentary to the fact that I have so many knitting books that I can't even keep straight which ones I have. I just regret that I used potential yarn money on a book I already had. Sigh.

So, when I finally got home, I found a package from Copper Moose waiting for me. Inside was this:
2 pounds of Blue Faced Leicester. This is gorgeous, soft, lustrous clouds of wonderful fiber. My husband is already ordering me to knit him a hat out of it like the one "Survivorman" is wearing on an episode showing right now; the one where he simulates a plane crash in the middle of Canadian winter. I pointed out that he (my hubby) has 4 hand-knitted hats and I have NONE, but he is adamant. He thinks the BFL is so soft, he HAS to have a hat. We'll see.
I also got this

4 ounces of Merino, and this

4 ounces of Merino/Mohair blend. It's not quite as crazy and bright as it looks in this picture. It's a nice blend of neutral colors.

As I said, it was a great day. Thanks Nola!! :0)

No comments: