Sunday, July 02, 2006

New Stuff

Today, there will be no pictures of old projects. Today is all about new stuff. Check out my Avatar in my side bar! I think she looks like me...Whatta ya think?

Anyway, here's "Robles" yarn from handpaintedyarn.com. This stuff is sooo pretty:

I'm hoping it will become this:

The problem is that the yarn gauges are off (of course), so I'm having to play with math. This is never a good sign. Plus, it's an all-over rib pattern, so I'm having to "guess-timate" how much negative ease to put in. We'll see how long this lasts.

I also got this gorgeous stuff:

This is single-ply, laceweight Merino in a color called "Oro & Vino" (Gold & Wine). This is like over 900 yards, so I can make just about anything! The possibilities are over-loading my fragile brain circuits.

On the spinning front, my supply of ready-to-spin Blackbird fleece is depleted, so I've resorted to this:

This was "Mountain Twilight" Merino roving from Beaverslide Dry Goods. I am soooo loving this stuff! The colorful flecks are just my cup of tea. I'm sorely tempted to abandon the labor-intensive preparation ritual of Blackbird and just knit Rogue out of this. But I made a committment (sort of), so I'll try to stick to it. Maybe I'll have to make 2 Rogues.

I spun this on my poor, neglected Lendrum. I actually made 2 bobbin-fuls of singles and plyed them together like a normal spinner, using my gigantic plying head. This was instead of my usual mode of spinning 3/4 of a bobbin, then winding it into a center-pull ball, then plying it back onto the same bobbin. But the huge skein is waaay worth it and ended up being like 220 yards of "worsted weight" yarn. Not too shabby.

Tomorrow, Nola & I are planning on taking a trip out to Laguna Hills to visit The Yarn Lady. She's having a 10% off everything red, white & blue sale. I'll have the boys with me, so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

evknits said...

I've been eye-ing Robles for a couple of months now, every since I saw it used on someone's blog. ooh, you have some :)
(http://evknits.blogspot.com)