Friday, November 10, 2006

I just can't catch a break...

Alright, that's quite a bit melodramatic, and if you never come back to read my blog after reading that title, I won't blame you a bit. I'm really thinking of changing it, but it just about sums up my week. I'm having a rough life right now.

Work has been outrageously busy. I mean, this is my second week working in my new position, and I am completely overwhelmed. It's not the actual work, per se, but it's the volume that's killing me. It just never stops! I swear, I've spent a grand total of 5 hours actually in my office in the last week. My life consists of endless back-to-back meetings which result in ever more work. And, of course, when certain high-ranking very important people request something, you had best be dropping everything else, or you can kiss your sweet ass goodbye. I can honestly say that I've NEVER missed a deadline at work, but I'm VERY worried that something is going to slip through the cracks, and I'll be having to do some major 'splaining. So, I do a lot of working at home. People freak out when they receive emails from me time-stamped 11:30 p.m. But it's keeping my mind off other things which, right now, is a very good thing.

So, my mother has told me that she doesn't want to fight anymore. That's fine. I'm playing along because 1) it's very hard for me to hold a grudge. It's probably why I stayed w/hubby so long. I'm always willing to forget & forgive. Although, I don't think my mom's & my relationship will ever be the same; 2) she sometimes offers to watch the kids. If you are the mother of 2 children under the age of 4, you will understand how much this means to me; 3) I don't like to "keep the party going". If someone's willing to bury the hatchet, I'm not going to be the one to reject it in favor of more drama. No thanks.

And, I have a knitted-gift question for you. You know those socks you've been forced to look at the past couple of months? The ones for which I put aside all of my other projects (sweaters) which would have been done by now, just in time for the cool fall weather. The ones I've been working on during every spare moment of my life, falling asleep while knitting because I can only work on them after the kids have gone to bed and I'm not working at home. Well, these socks are a very personal expression of caring for the recipient. I'm sure you all know about the thoughts that go into every stitch of a project you're knitting for someone. A knitted gift is truly a labor of love.



It should be no surprise to you, considering how the fates have been punishing me lately, that the intended recipient of these socks has decided that, at this point in life, there is too much going on to be able to commit to maintaining steady communication with me. Communication consists mostly of text-messaging. So, this so-called-friend has basically told me that life has priorities, and I'm so low on that list that I don't even warrant 1 minute of the day for a freakin' text.

So, the dillema: Do I go ahead and give the socks anyway? The color, the inscription, the size were all chosen specifically with this person in mind. Every time I look at them, I think of the recepient. I can't give them to anyone else.

Oh, more non-knitting news: I went for a consultation for a boob job & tummy tuck. Good news is that, saggy as I am, I don't need a lift. Bad news is that, for the whole shootin' match, I need to come up with $10 grand. But it'll be so worth it, and I can hardly wait. As background, I nursed 2 children 8 months each. I started out a nice B, and am now a flat, saggy, deflated A-. Horrible. And my tummy resembles an overflated balloon which has now been deflated. I started at 108 lbs, gained 45 lbs with each kid, and am now back to 105 lbs (thanks to that cool "stress-caused-by-the-big-D" diet). Not a pretty sight. I've tentatively scheduled surgery for Dec 27th, but I'll be having a consult w/another surgeon on Nov 21, who's been recommended by 2 of my friends. So, things may change, but it will happen.

Well, I did have a bit of knitting luck...perhaps the fates didn't want to drive me ALL the way to suicide. I was dragging the kids all over town today looking for a piece of luggage to use for my 3-day conference in Monterey next week (yeah, I'm super-busy and I'll be gone from work from Tuesday afternoon through Friday night!). In the 5th store of the day, a Big Lots, I found this:



This is a super-bulky weight chenille I scored for $1 a skein. I got all they had of this color, which is 14 skeins. Of course, I do not NEED this yarn, and in fact, have no room for it. But I'm addicted, and I can't help myself. And doesn't chenille worm? I'm an idiot.

So, what do I do with the socks?

2 comments:

DianeS said...

Give 'em to the intended recipient, anyway. That'll get them out of your house so you don't have to look at them any more, and maybe they'll make the IR feel a bit guilty for treating you badly. Karma, you know.

stitching pooh said...

I guess I would frog em and make myself something pretty(mittens, hat,wristwarmers, ( oh fetching fingerless gloves). To remind me that maybe they don't have time for me but I do. You have to take care of youself. Good luck.