Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ooops!

Well, I've made major progress on the Cozy Cardigan. This sweater has become an obsession lately, and I haven't been obsessed by a project in a loooong time. So, I'm motoring along, memorizing the pattern, feeling good about my commitment, having grand ideas that I might actually finish this sweater, and basically having a blast watching this thing grow so quickly from my needles (gotta love chunky wool and Addi Turbos). Then, I stopped a moment to take a look and admire my work...

If you study this fuzzy picture, you may notice that I've missed a bobble row about 6 long rows ago (remember, this is circular knitting, so the prospect of frogging even 1 row makes me cringe). When I first noticed this, I figured I could just make some bobbles and sew them on (I think I read that Nicky Epstein does this). Content with this plan of action, and determined not to make this mistake again, I continued on. Alas, I didn't get far.

Now, if you study the sweater a little more, as I did, you may also see that the cables on either side of my steek stitches are at different stages of development (the ones on the right are crossing over the verticle line of st st, while the ones on the left are not). I blame the countless interruptions from my family (darn kids just have to have their diapers changed), and the fact that I've allowed myself to become overly confident regarding my knitting skills.

Now, because I've been so impressed with myself at memorizing this pattern, I've only just occasionally been consulting with the chart, and of course have not bothered with my usual method of keeping track of which row I'm on by using Post-It sticky notes. The realization that I've made a huge error which has cost me valuable knitting time (of course this all needs to be ripped out at least 2 rows back) is a veritable rainstorm on my cheery little knitting parade, not to mention a HUGE wake up call reminding me that I have not yet reached a "chart-less" level in my knitting. Very well, lesson learned.

But now that I'll absolutely be frogging, I'm figuring that I may as well rip back to fix my missed bobbles. I've got a very bad attitude about the actual act of ripping, but, surprisingly, I still have that burning desire to get this thing done. I'm envisioning completing the sleeves then joining them to the body and attempting my first-ever saddle-shoulder sweater in the round. Can you tell I've been watching too many EZ & Meg videos?

Oh, and I didn't even get the Viking Cables sweater out of its bag since it's photo shoot below. Work is a never-ending nightmare from which I can't escape to sneak in even just a little bit of knitting. Oh well.

On the Spinning side of things, I did get around to plying my 1st skein of the BS Mill-ends roving.


I am so loving this stuff. It's so purty. And although the rest of the roving is singing its siren song to me, I've been hopelessly distracted by this new arrival...

Look at this gorgeous stuff! This is Mountain Twilight roving from Beaverslide Dry Goods. I've bought their yarn before, and it's wonderful as well (it's marinating in my stash, but I fondle it often). This wool roving is sooo soft and fluffy, and the colors are wonderful, as you can see. I'm already planning on getting the Mountain Midnight colorway, just as soon as payday rolls around. I really love tweedy yarns, so I'm really looking forward to starting in on this. Anyway, at $16/lb, it's an absolute steal. Check it out and support a small business.

2 comments:

Amie said...

Welcome to the Spinning Wheel!

Abigale said...

Oh, I love that Brown Sheep Mill end skein that you did! I just bought a bunch of stuff from them (one of everything LOL!) I'm really looking forward to getting started on it now that I've seen this picture...