Monday, March 27, 2006

The yarn is talking

The sock yarn I dyed last week has been calling me. I wound it into a ball, and left it to ponder it's future. It's been calling even louder ever since I finally got some time to flip through the pages of these treasures:

Great stuff on sock technique (Sensational Socks), historical content (Knitting Vintage Socks), and loads of wonderful sock patterns (both)! How's a girl to decide? Well, first, I guess I got to get to swatching.....


I'm sorry for the quality of my photos, or lack thereof, but I'm still figuring out my digital camera. I'm so happy with how this is knitting up! Anyway, I'm getting 7 sts to the inch on size 1 needles. Armed with this knowledge, I'm going to decide on a pattern and get to knitting. I've been itching to knit a sock lately. This yarn is wonderfully soft Merino, so I'll need to get some Wooly Nylon to reinforce the heels and toes. Darn, that means a trip to the craft store!

Speaking of not needing to spend more money on fiber-related stuff, here's my newest acquisition...

Meet "Blackbird", a Shetland/Corriedale cross with beautiful colors & lovely crimp. I'm so excited to wash this up, but it's going to have to wait till it this weekend.


And this is why I really didn't need more fleece:

And this is just a partial picture of my fiber stash. Let's not even mention the yarn.

Oh, did you notice my Harlot button on the side bar? She's awesome, I tell you! :-)

1 comment:

OzKnitter said...

Hi Jamie.

I too love KVS and I think I've finally managed to track down a copy of "Sensational Socks" and I can't wait for it to arrive!

The sock yarn you dyed yourself (congrats!) is gorgeous and is actually quite similar in colours to the last yarn I bought.

Can't wait to see what you decide to knit with it and also can't wait to see the mints tin you found.