Monday, July 24, 2006

Blackbird Returns

Hi all!
Yes, I'm back to spinning Blackbird again!

For this one, I spun up 2 bobbins of singles, then plied them together. This is instead of spinning 1 bobbin of singles, winding into a center-pull ball, and then plying back onto the same bobbin.

It's about 220 yards of Blackbird. This yarn is so soft and springy! If I pull on it, it easily stretches out and then sproings back as if it has elastic in it. I can't wait to start knitting it up.

As far as knitting goes, I'm all over the map right now. I worked a little on the Adamas Shawl. I need to knit me and the boys some hats for our camping trip to Utah in August, and I also need to knit something for a soon-to-be baby boy. But, instead, I started knitting the Lotus Blossom Tank from the cover of the Spring 2006 IK.

This is the result of some serious de-stashing. I've combined a dk-weight superwash wool with some nylon/cotton novelty eBay yarn. If you look closely, you can also see some smallish beads in the knitting. I'm so proud...it's my first time!

But, this has also made me aware that I am a freakishly loose knitter. And I don't mean that I just have to move down 1 or even 2 sizes. The pattern & the ball band call for a gauge of 5.5 sts per inch on size 6 needles. I can only achieve the gauge of 5 sts per inch on size 1 (ONE!) needles. And the fabric isn't all that stiff either.

This almost precludes me from ordering the interchangable Options needles from KnitPicks that EVERYONE in blogville seems to have. The other thing keeping me from succumbing to the supreme amount of needle-envy is that I have the 16" & 24" Addi Turbos in sizes 5-8, and seeing as how I'm a freak when it comes to gauge, I actually need sizes 1-4. The Options don't come that small.

Well, I'll probably order them anyway. All things in the fullness of time.

No comments: