Friday, July 14, 2006

Calgon, take me away!

Remember those old, cheesy commercials? The poor overworked woman with the horrible loud family? Now that I can totally relate, I'm sure Calgon sold a lot of bubble bath when they were running those ads.

Anyway, fanfare please, without further ado, I give you Crappy Cardi....

Yes, it's done. And it really did come out nice. I ended up putting pockets in the slits where I had cut the sides, and I'm pretty proud of the thing since so much of it was designed on the fly. Not that there was anything wrong with the orignial pattern (Kathy Zimmerman is truly awesome), but I wanted to knit this in the round.

EXCEPT for that STUPID, HIDEOUS, UNDENIABLE dark band from hell smack dab in the middle of my otherwise totally wearable garment. As of this post, I've washed the sweater in HOT water with Dawn, and now with Kookaburra Woolwash. The water changed to an encouraging red shade (it's all the excess dye from that crazy skein soaking out, right?). But ultimately, even though the sweater is still damp, I can see that the band is still there. Isn't that the funniest thing? Absolutely hilarious.

So, the only alternative I see is to overdye the entire sweater. I know this process is fraught with danger, the biggest risk being splotchy color from uneven dye uptake. But I am a trooper, and I am armed with my Country Classics dyes and some left-over yarn, and I will at least make sure I get the right color to splotch my sweater with.

I found the Dye Happy list on Yahoo Groups during an unfruitful Google search for some advice to help me in my quest. There is precious little on the net about overdyeing an entire sweater...I guess the knitting community is a little smarter than yours truly, or at least they pay better attention to the colors of the sweaters they are spending precious hours of their lives knitting. At any rate, after searching their archives and finding nothing that fits my particular dillema, I posted a plea to the Dye Happy folks, and am now fervently hoping for a magical reply. You know, the one that says "Oh, you silly little thing, just wave your Addi's over the entire thing twice counter-clockwise, and your sweater's color will even right out!" Here's hoping.....

2 comments:

Sarah said...

oooohhh.

That really sucks.

I wish I had a better suggestion.

Good luck with the Overdye!

Susie said...

What if...you found a skein of darker, not quite contrasting yarn, and overstitched a decorative row or two on the top and bottom of that band...make it a feature, not a glitch. The computer guys do it all the time...I think it might be easier (and less risky at the outset) to actually call attention to it than to try hiding it.

As a dyer, my concern would be that the darker yarn would (naturally) take up the yarn in a manner similar to the yarn around it and...still be darker, only in a different color...after all your labor.

Just me .02.

Besutiful work, btw..